My Writing

Welcome to my blog about English 201!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Inventing the University

In reading Inventing the University and completing assignment 2 I have thought a lot about my writing both at home and in the classroom. In class "students have to appropriate (or be appropriated by) a specialized discourse, and they have to do this as though they were easily and comfortably one with their audience, as though they were members of the academy..." This quote speaks for itself in course writings we have to change our mindset to fit with what is required of us. I found it very interesting how David Bartholomae describes course writing and the different examples he provided of what was acceptable or unacceptable for academic discourse. It was also intriguing in reading his examples about what was considered "creativity" in student’s writings. Creativity is defined by dictionary.com as " from originality of thought, expression, etc.; imaginative resulting." The story about the clay model was considered creative while the story about the football players socks was unoriginal and nowhere near unique. This brought up the memory of my entrance essay and how I could have better taken on my role in writing to impress and relate to my readers, the faculty members. I also thought about how we have to write in a language as the scholars do in order to write the academic discourse.

2 comments:

  1. "I think that all writers, in order to write, must imagine for themselves the privilege of beings "insiders" that is, of being both insider and established and powerfull discourse, and of being granted a special right to speak".(516)
    As u state in blog and this qote sums up every thing vary good. When we writing for acadamic purpose we have that presure on us to do good. If we just writing its just as journal to our self no one will see it or grade it. When we write for class we have citaria or thers standerd that we have to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked the examples Bartholomae used to explained the "approiate or be appropiated by" langauge students should use in writing papers. It gave a perspective view on how we should write for our readers and audience as we are scholars and or a "members of a academy". I believe we are too concern with staying in the comfort zone of writing, we forget the purpose, and may tend to write such as the football paper with no "creativity" to really own.

    ReplyDelete